Monday, July 12, 2004

Early Morning Deep Musings

Yesterday, or some other day in the recent past (as all my days seem to bleed into each other during the summer), I was thinking about dreams and premonitions and all sorts of fun stuff like that. I was talking to a friend on MSN about deja-vu type dreams. For example, a couple of years ago, I had a dream where I was in my art class and we were having a meeting of some sort and someone kept sitting in front of me and I was a little frustrated because I couldn't see. Then, about half a year later I'd say, the same thing happened for real. I was slightly weirded out.

That story, however, isn't nearly as cool as one my grandmother told me. When she was a little girl, she made a new friend and was very excited because she was going to her friend's house the next day. That night she had a dream that she was at the friend's house. She was lead into a garden in the back yard and remembered specifically a tree and the dress her friend's mother was wearing. The next morning, everything was exactly as it was in her dream.

My mom has a cool theory about this. She thinks of time as a sort of ribbon, and when we have dreams, we're somehow transported above the ribbon, to some higher dimension, and we get a brief glance of what is on the ribbon as a whole. Of course, this theory sort of implies predeterminism, which I'm not a great fan of.

I can't really explain things like that, but they're definitely weird. Also, other things I've experienced, like telepathy, are hard to explain. I was once in a shoe store with my mom and I wandered to the front while she was buying something. I clearly heard in my head, "Ilana?" I then asked my mom if she had said my name, and she said that she had thought it. That was kind of weird.

I try to think of myself as a scientifically minded person, and when there is something which happens which we can't just attribute to coincidence, I feel slightly annoyed. I try to blame this sort of thing on tricks of the mind, or very unlikely coincidence. It sort of works for me. Yeah, starting to get disjointed here... time to quit.




<< Home
|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com