Monday, August 23, 2004

Windsurfing and sailing.

I just finished a Windsurfing/Sailing class last week. It was amazingly fun. It was a four-day course and we went to a lake for eight hours every day to sail and windsurf. (Way to state the obvious, Ilana.) Anywho, I got to try windsurfing twice, and it's a lot harder than it looks. First, you need to keep your balance to pull the sail up. Then, you have to be able to keep the sail up and use it for steering and propulsion. I think I spent more time in the water than on my board. I also have a nice collection of bruises on my legs, below the knee, from when I jumped onto the board. It was still a blast, although quite frustrating at times (most of them).

The sailing part of the course was equally fun, but not quite as challenging. I managed to get sort of where I wanted to go, most of the time, and I liked it a lot because we could work in pairs. I got hit in the head with the boom more than once which wasn't very nice, and twice I was hit in the forehead hard enough to be propelled into the water. It wasn't as bad as one of my friends there who got a mast in the head when her boat capsized though. However, injuries aside, I've discovered that sailing is really really fun. There's nothing to match the wind in your face, a billowing sail above you and the water wooshing beside you when you're going really fast.

All in all, it was a great class. The teacher was awesome, my classmates were really friendly, and I gained some information I never would have in a normal gym class. I'm also really happy because it was my last gym course ever! Heehee!




<< Home
|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com